I am not sure how much I can add to Matthew 5 which is the beginning chapter of the sermon on the mount. However, I will try to talk about some impressions that I had while reading and studying.
In the chapter, Christ outlines the fundamental requirements for his disciples and teaches a higher law. The youtube videos that Mom and Dad like mention a quote by Harold B. Lee where he declares:
In that matchless Sermon on the Mount, Jesus has given us eight distinct ways by which we might receive … joy. Each of his declarations is begun by the word “Blessed.” … These declarations of the Master are known in the literature of the Christian world as the Beatitudes. … They embody in fact the constitution for a perfect life.
Jesus teaches the constitution for a perfect and happy life. "[Happy] are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." Along with the 7 other beatitudes.
For me, it is important to remember that happiness is found in Jesus Christ and in his gospel. It is easy for me to get discouraged about school or a job search and trying to figure out what career to pursue. But I know that happiness is found and PROMISED in Christ's gospel. It is critical for me to look for happiness in the right place. I know that Christ gives me hope and the map to find true happiness.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Matthew 6-7 “He Taught Them as One Having Authority”
I really enjoyed studying this week’s chapters. There is so much content to touch on in these chapters but I’ll just choose a few things th...
-
This new Come Follow Me study has been great! I have read through the entire New Testament before and been to many of the places mentioned ...
-
This week we study the temptations of Jesus. All are tempted. This is a great talk on temptation by Elder and Sister Holland from their...

I enjoyed your post Nicholas and I enjoyed studying these chapters with you this week. I agree that sometimes we get so caught up in the worries of life and trying to find happiness right now that we forget where eternal happiness comes from. I especially like this quote from Holland that can be applied to this. “Some blessings come soon, some come late, and some don’t come until heaven; but for those who embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ, they come.”
ReplyDelete